27 Jul 09I am sorry that I was not able to connect with you by phone today. I did get to bed late again last night, and I got out of bed in time to get to the gym to do my workout before seeing my therapist. In fact, I was running a bit late in getting to his office. I noticed when I was stretching at the gym that my leg looked inflamed. So I showed it to my therapist and then he suggested that I go see my doctor. Since my doctor works at a clinic, I was not sure if I would be seen today. Luckily, when I got to his office, he saw me and agreed to see me at the last minute. Last year, I had a similar infection. It was treated with a variety of antibiotics, but nothing worked. Finally I got a fever and ended up in the emergency room. I was admitted on my birthday for a week, having cellulitis and IV antibiotics being   administered. So my doctor put me on Levaquin for one week. If the infection (its on my left leg) does not clear up in a week or I get a fever I need to contact him again. I am hoping that we caught this in time. I do not want to spend the week in the hospital. I am feeling OK. I don't like taking more pills (I take 27 a day) but if it means being out of the hospital, then so be it. I went to bridge tonight with a different attitude. Billy gave me some suggestions and they helped me relax a bit. There are some good players, and I want to be one of them. Food went OK today. Let me know if you would like me to contact you tomorrow. I am going to the gym and also to a memorial service for my friend Barbara, whose father passed away last week. Thank you so much for your support. 28 Jul 09 The antibiotics the doctor put me on have kicked my butt. I have not felt this bad in ages. I knew that these would be strong, but they have made me lethargic and I feel stopped up. I did not do much today. I've stayed in bed, and tried to relax. I did try to rearrange some stuff in my apartment. Bad idea. I quickly stopped that and now I am heading for bed. I am hoping that I will feel better. I did not get to the gym today. I left a message for you this afternoon. Not an emergency, just wanted to follow up with you from your phone message to me over the weekend. 29 Jul 09 I hope that your week is going well. I woke up this morning and was still feeling not well. The welt on my left leg is not as warm as it was on Monday, and it looks like it is not spreading. I ended up meeting a friend for coffee late in the afternoon since I was beginning to feel a bit stir crazy. I had a nice chat with Chris, and his friend Paul. I will not get a chance to see Chris for a while since he will be leaving for Austin, Texas tomorrow. I came home and began to do some household chores. I did feel a bit better this evening. I did not get to the gym. If I am still feeling good, I will switch up my workouts by doing my Tuesday on Thursday and my Thursday on Friday. And do some cardio on the weekend. Does this make sense? Since my doctor will be away next week on vacation, I pray that my infection was caught in time and that I will only need to take the antibiotics for one week. I think it was a good idea to stay and rest at home while my body was trying to repair itself from the infection. My appointment with the job counselor is tomorrow afternoon. I will give you a complete report then. 30 Jul 09 Can you believe that August starts this weekend? I can't. I still want to think it's June. I met with my friend Alan for coffee. He is very depressed. His friend, who has struggled with his weight, is considering the stomach surgery. He knows about my weight loss, and I have told Alan that I would be happy to talk to him. But Alan's friend has not reached out to me. So, I've got to let it go. I met with the job counselor today. The meeting went very well. I like her energy, and I will be doing some homework and meeting with her again next week to work on my cover letter. I think I'm in the right space to move forward in this area. I got to the gym this afternoon. I felt pretty good with what I did today exercise-wise, I am glad I got out of the house. Then my friend Sara called, and said that she would not be able to attend the closing film at the SF Jewish Film Festival, and if I would be interested in going with her partner, Beth to the film. I changed clothes and met Beth in front of the Castro Theater. It was nice to see Beth, and the movie told the story of an intimate relationship between two teen girls in Tunisia during World War II, one Muslim and one Jewish. The director was there, and took some Q and A after wards. It was a nice treat to go see a movie I probably would not have been able to see otherwise. Tomorrow I am planning to get to the gym again, and to the grocery store. 31 Jul 09 I found out that I will be participating in a focus group on Monday afternoon, which means that I will miss my regular appointment with my therapist. However it looks possible that we will meet over the phone on Thursday. It will be nice to be able to check in with him before our next scheduled appointment. I left a message with my doctor today about whether or not I should continue taking the antibiotics when the Rx is done. He said that I should continue taking what I have left and if per chance any of the previous symptoms reappear to go back to the clinic and see another doctor. So far the antibiotic is working and the leg infection is not increasing in size nor is it warm to the touch. I went to the gym this afternoon and did my Thursday workout. My back was bothering me a bit, but by the time I left the gym I was doing OK. I went to Trader Joe's and then came home and had dinner and watched "Signs", the 2002 sci-fi thriller. I never saw it in the movie theater, and I got it from the library. Tomorrow I am planning to do some cardio and return the DVD. I hope that your weekend is relaxing and enjoyable. 01 Aug 09 Happy August!I hope that you are enjoying the weekend. I got up this morning, made coffee and watched a movie before heading out to run some errands. I went to the library, then to the bookstore and to Walgreens to get my monthly Muni pass. I am going to help my friend Janet tomorrow get a computer. She just lost her job on Tuesday, and will need one to do her job search. Her dad is helping her out in getting one. I got a text message from Billy today. He is back from his trip to Yosemite. I am looking forward to seeing him on Monday morning, and to hear about his vacation. I am almost done taking the antibiotics. I pray that this series will have killed the infection. I started to get nervous today about the weigh in on Wednesday. But I realize that it's not tomorrow, so I need to let it go. I hope that the rest of your weekend goes well. 02 Aug 09 I ended up not going computer shopping with Janet. She has been doing this a lot lately: making plans, and then getting a migraine and canceling. So I went back to bed, and got up late. After putting around the apartment, I left the house and went to the grocery store. When I came back, I did 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill. Took a shower, and have been here at my desk reading and playing bridge. Remind me on Wednesday to tell you what I saw this morning that I have not seen in a while. (I would prefer to tell you in person; it's not bad, I think it's pretty good actually) I hope that your weekend was restful, and I look forward to seeing you in person later this week.

Author: Kevin Johnson, Commit to Fit Winner 2009