What does it take to be a trainer? During the certification or undergrad process, they teach you a bunch about anatomy, physiology, and how to work with clients that have a history of diabetes. You gruel for hours over pages on pages of anatomical positions, trying to find ways to help you remember the difference between the sagittal vs. transverse plane. Unfortunately, what they seem to skip through is how to be a personal trainer. Sure, you have to know your books. But, how do you get people through the door and signed up as your client?
Yes, it helps to remember the names of their kids and where they plan to vacation next month, but beyond that, it takes a lot more. It starts from the moment they are looking for a trainer. It starts when they first hear your name. It starts when they first try and find you.
This is how The Business Movement was born. DIAKADI saw a need for tackling the job beyond just the training session, so we brought together four trainers, each one specializing in a different aspect of trainer success. Then, we held our very first conference here at DIAKADI headquarters where over 40 trainers joined us. If you missed the fun, we’ve rounded up our favorite tips below. Stay tuned to hear when the next movement comes around!
Jackson Bloore, Action Jackson Fitness
- Don’t be afraid to charge what you’re worth once you have accumulated experience and proven results.
- Saying “no” to some potential clients says “yes” to others. Aim to specialize in a specific category instead of becoming a general trainer who can kind of do a few things.
- Define and know your client. What does he/she look like?
- Live your brand. Whether that means wearing your t-shirts everywhere or casually mentioning your business when you’re out and about, be proud of your brand. You never know where your next client could be.
Gina Gutierrez, Partner at DIAKADI + Founder of Gina Rachelle Design
- If you haven’t already, make sure you have a clear understanding of the following:
Your Why: What is your story and why have you chosen this passion? What do you want to share with others?
Your Voice: Be professional but have personality! Believe in your voice.
Your Style: A reflection of your personal style but it will also attract the type of audience you want to work with.
- Aim for consistency in your brand. The more places you showcase your brand, then the more visible and recognizable you become. Have your business name, logo, contact info images synonymous on multiple platforms. This will help clients associate keywords and pictures with your business. After seeing you multiple times, they will know you are the best choice.
- If you’re releasing an early stage version of your website to put yourself out there, be sure to create pages that give your audience immediate info: About Me, Services, Connect/Contact.
- Recommended resources for design nerds (and not-so nerds!):
Ross Steiner, Steiner Strength Personal Training
- Embrace an internship! It can be grueling and unpaid, but so helpful for networking and getting your feet wet.
- Ask, ask, ask. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people you don’t know and ask questions or inquire about opportunities.
- Sales is key: use every opportunity you can to help someone change their life.
- Make sure you are able to accept as many forms of payment as possible to make it easy for your clients. Look into: Paypal, Square/SquareCash, Venmo.
Billy Polson, Founder + Co-Owner DIAKADI
- To secure the sale, wow them the moment they first see your website. From images to layout to grammar, know that the first impression is made within the first five seconds.
- Your website should be one of three categories:
Online Business Card: one picture, 3-sentence biography, accolades, certifications
Online Pamphlet: Many images, full resume, testimonials, live social feed, mailing list, maybe a blog
Fully Interactive Site: Online scheduling, store, client access accounts
- Decide on what’s necessary to have on your site and then roll out the add-ons in phases.
- Organic vs. Paid searches: many social mediums have a paid option to help increase your visibility. Start with free options and then test out paid campaigns on your most successful medium.
Sign up HERE to be the first to know when the next Business Movement comes to DIAKADI!